My harp debut...

	I wanted to write this note before I forgot the feeling.  I went to
America's Cup Restaurant tonight, and listened to Mel, from the mailroom, in
his band called the Rough Riders.  Mel plays bass and harp, as well as some
vocals.  For his third set, he asked me if I had my harps with me.  Of course I
did.  He then asked me if I wanted to play a song with them in their last set.
I said OK.  When I got on stage, Mel gave me his vocal mike and showed me how
to hold it with the harp.  We then played one of Eric Clapton's songs.  Mel
gave me the intro, and I jammed with them.  It was a wonderful feeling,
although I was so nervous, I ended up with a TERRIBLE case of cotton mouth.
You cannot play good harmonica with a dry mouth, although I did my damndest.
At first, I couldn't hear myself through the mike, but after a while, I was
able to pick out my notes from the rest of the band.  Even though I noticed I
hit a few sour notes, and I came in on the wrong times sometimes, everyone in
the audience said I did very well.  The guys in the band said I sounded pretty
good, too.  What a rush.  When I was up there, I started to feel the music in
my body, and I couldn't help but respond to it.  I really enjoyed myself.  If
given the chance, I would do it again.

	The above story was about my first "real" time on stage playing
harmonica.  As it only happened last month, I still get a rush thinking about
it.  For those of you who have been on stage, do you remember what it was like?
Did I convey a similar feeling to you in my narration?  After playing on stage
like that, I started to wonder where James Cotton REALLY got his name!  :)
Right after the song, I told Mel that he could start calling me Cottonmouth.
*sigh*  But!  At least I got up there and gave it a try.  I really enjoy
playing, although I need to get some new licks.  Looks like it's practice
practice practice!!!  :)

	I am REALLY happy to see that there is a net discussion group out there
that caters to harp players, and I have to say that I am very pleased at the
host of responses to my questions...my thanks to you all, and thank you for
making a small town boy feel welcome!

"It's not the size of the HARP, but the WAILING that it makes!"

     {*}
     /
    /  Mr. Wizard
   /     "Rick"