Re: Chris Pierce questions

> Which (Lee Oskar) album would be the best?
> I have "Before the Rain" and although some songs are soothing, some are
> kind of annoying disco like stuff.  (circa 1978 so what do I expect?)

I agree completely, Dick.  This is the only Lee Oskar album I've been
able to find.  He must have done a lot of better stuff

> Harp Handbook by Steve Baker:  I ordered this from Hohner last year.  And I
> recently read in the AHN that there was a Harp Handbook II with lots more
> stuff.  Baker is a consultant to Hohner, (He designed the Steve Baker
> Special), so I would think that they have just replaced the original one
> with the 2nd and better version.  Give em' a call and let us know,  I'd
> like to get the 2nd version.

Harmonica Information Publication has a review of the Harp Handbook in it
this issue.  It's a rave.  Apparently, the USA distributor is Music Sales
Corporation, not Hohner.  Music Sales is a very large distributor.  I
would think almost any music store could order from them.  HIP included
a direct sales 1-800 number, but I left it at home, darn it.

Chris also asked about Mel Bay books, I think.  They usually aren't too
hard to find, since Mel Bay is so well established in the instructional
music publishing business.  Elderly Instruments is a good source for
harmonica books.  They sell by mail order out of Michigan.  Once again,
I am without their phone number.  I'll look for the info later.

> Hohner's Golden Melody harp?    I really like the Golden Melody for its
> curved covers.  The mouthpiece is straight, but the back is curved and my
> hands fit around it.  The reeds inside are the same as those in the marine
> band or Special 20, but I get a much better closure for a nice soft muffled
> sound and a great contrast when I open my hands and make it say WAH.
> It works for the overblow without the screechy sounds you get when you try
> to overblow a Lee Oskar or Huang.  But, I met someone this Summer who
> played Special 20 and had no trouble with the overblow.
>
> I also heard that the Golden Melody is "Equal Tempered" which means that each
> note is tuned the same as the piano so that it can be played in many keys
> and not be way out of tune in any one of them.  In contrast, the Marine
> Band is tuned exactly for the key that the harp is built for.  You can
> tell the difference by comparing to the draw chord 1234 on a Golden Melody
> to the draw chord 1234 on the Marine Band.  The Marine Band sounds more "in
> tune" with itself, but would not sound as good when played in keys further
> and further away from the key of the harp.  This is another reason I am
> told that Howard Levy plays Golden Melody since he is also a fine pianist.

I guess I'll definitely have to try a Golden Melody, now.

> Commercial for "Heartland Harmonica"?  Wow! A Harmonica Commercial?
> I am never suprised by the strange things which Hohner does.  I'd like to
> see it.  Was it on a network or Cable channel?  Who does the tape? Marcos?
> Butterfield/Sebastian, Gindick?  Let us know if you can get a copy of the
> commercial on your vcr.  In general I think Hohner is pretty un-hip when it
> comes to promoting their product.  And, they have too many products with
> very little distinction.  Did you ever look really closely at a Pocket Pal
> ($5.95 made in China) and the Special 20 ($24.95 made in Germany)  As far
> as I can tell, the writing on the covers is the only difference. (And the
> fact that they only offer the Pocket Pal in "C".

You noticed that, too?  I've never liked the sound of a Special 20,
 unamplified.It's muffled, and kind of dull.  The Lee Oskar has more of the
 Marine Band's
brightness.

> If only I could make the Lee Oskar overblow sound better I would probably
> switch to all Lee Oskar.

I play all Lee Oskar, now.  They have problems other than overblow.  The low
reeds sometimes bang against the covers.  But they play smoothly and sound
pretty good.

> Love to talk harps

Me, too.

george