Positions/Modes?

 Now another question.  What about the labeling of "positions"--when did it
start, and how?

Perhaps it did evolve from "crossed" to second and so on.  I have not read
anything that explains it as well as the "circle of 5ths" given by Levy.
No one knows who "invented" cross harp because it probably happened at a time
when "country/black" music was not deemed important enough to warrant
recording.  The technology was available, but it was not available to those
who were playing cross harp style at the time.

Any instrument that is diatonic (plays only notes of a major scale), can be
played modaly.  That is to say that you can play in the 7 greek modes or
scales.  This is very closely related to "position".  I can think of
several diatonic instruments which are played in various modes or
positions.  The Irish Pennywhistle is one and the diatonic button accordion
is another.  Both of these can play notes of a major scale in a particular
key, and in order to play in other keys, they can be played in other
"positions", although I have not heard the term "positions" used.

I'm afraid that's about all I know of the history of "positions".

love to talk harps,

dick....

Dick Anderson  CCMO New Matls Engineering        Telnet                 229-3110
Hewlett Packard                                  Direct Dial      1-303-229-3110
3404 E Harmony Road                              HPDESK     dick_anderson@hp4000
Fort Collins Colorado 80525                      mail anderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx