Unusual Amps

 >         The guy that I learned a great deal from used
 > a Fender Bass Man.  His
 > Name is Sugar Ray Narcia.  He used to play with Sugar
 > Ray and the Blue Tones.
 > I use a Peavey Classic (twin).  It is run by tubes. I
 > think that gives the
 > best sound.  There is a saturation dial on it.  It
 > really makes a warm tone.

 >         Sonny Loring

I've seen Sugar Ray and I got within an iota of buying a
Peavey Classic (one of the new Bassman-looking ones). I
got ahold of a '63 Fender Vibroverb reissue that was cheaper
and so did not buy the Peavey, but I'd recommend it to
anyone (my only knock was the tweed cover, looks cool but
I'd hate to bang it against anything).

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone heard the new
album by the Red Devils, called "King King?" They're an
LA-based blues band...I think the oldest guy in the band
is only 23 or 24. Some fabulous harp playing, although
the singing could use some work and the band could use
to showcase the other members more often (almost every
solo is a harp solo). Still well worth buying for learning
some new harp riffs. Sorta a weird live recording...
despite being issued by a major label, such gunk as amp
buzz and the sound of the harp player's diaphram when he
plays vibrato is left in the mix. Weird.

The Fender Bassman is one of *the* classic harp amps.
However, vintage Bassman amps (i.e., around 1959) now
run about $1,500...and of course, they're older than
I am. There *is* a reissue out there that runs about
$700, but I'm told the Peavey sounds better (never
tried a reissue Bassman).
 I'd recommend my Vibroverb wholeheartedly. Looks
cool too...covered in chocolate brown Tolex. Played
out with it last Saturday at a bar and tore the mother
down! Got free drinks the rest of the night.