Circle of Fifths.

Last post before Christmas!

I know you are all dying to read this just now, all three of you that
are still on line!

As I say later on this is of more use to other types of musicians.
However, a lot of us play more than one instrument anyway.

This one follows on from my last post abut cross harp keys.(in an indirect
sort of way).

If you print this on an 80 col. at 10 cpi..66 lines it should print out
looking like a circle and fitting on one page.

Please fel free to modify the diagram and re use it.
People on the NET keep trying to produce a circle of fifths with ascci,
but they offten put the diagonal lines in. This tends to make them look
messy, which is why John here at work and I did it this way.

Cut below the dotted line to print onto one page.
Happy Christmas everyone, have a GOOD time.
Gordon Jackson

EMAIL me at:-  GJackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--------------------CUT------------------------
                         THE CIRCLE OF FIFTHS.

  The flat keys                    C                    The sharp keys
  are shown down                   |                    are shown down
  this side.              F        |        G           this side.
 (Anti-clockwise)                  |                    (Clockwise)
       |                           |                         |
       |                           |                         |
       |                           |                         |
                  Bb               |               D

              Eb ------------------|------------------ A

                  Ab               |               E

                          Db       |        B

                                   F#
                                   Gb

Most of this is more use to a guitarist or keyboard player. It is handy
to realise that a lot of information can be got from the Circle of 5ths.
	In any choosen key, the dominant chord is the first one clockwise
of the key symbol.
The sub-dominant chord is the first note anti-clockwise.
The relative minor is always 90 Deg. to the left of the key symbol.
      Example:-   Key = C    Dominant Chord = G   Sub-dominant chord = F
             The relative minor = A (minor).

The same rules apply to the relative minor.
      Example:-   The key of Am.    The dominant chord = Em
             The sub-dminant chord = Dm.

Diminished Chords.
A four note diminished chord is properly called a Diminished 7th,
(i.e. Cdim7, Adim7 etc.).
It may be named after any of the notes in it. This is due to them having
equal intervals between the notes. It is not strictly correct to name
three note diminished chords after any of the notes in the chord though.
Theoretically, it can only be named after the root note, but in practice,
you CAN call it after any of it's constituent notes. (Confused? So am I!).
This interval is a minor third between each note. The notes for any
diminished chord are always 90 Deg. apart, in either direction from
the starting note.
      Example:-   Cdim chord =  C A F# Eb.

Augmented Chords.
An augmented chord may be also be named after of the notes in it.
This is again due to them having equal intervals between the notes.
The interval this time being a third.
The notes for any augmented chord are always 120 Deg. apart.
That is to say, a third of the circle away from each other.
      Example:-   Caug. chord =  C E Ab
Or five positions away from the start note, counting the first note as one.