Re: BLUES: William Clarke & Mark Hummel (fwd)

Article #19275 (19323 is last):
Newsgroups: rec.music.bluenote
From: elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Elliott.New)
Subject: Re: BLUES: William Clarke & Mark Hummel
Date: Wed Jan 13 09:00:42 1993

In article <C0qwxE.Ar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> vinoski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Stephen
Vinoski) writes:

>A couple of questions about blues harmonica players:
>
>1) Did William Clarke ever release any more albums after his "Blowin'
>   Like Hell" release on Alligator a few years ago?  He is such a
>   great harp player.  Did he put out anything prior to that release?

As someone mentioned, his latest is __Serious_Intentions__ (on
Alligator), and it is great!  If you are looking for more William
Clarke, check out the LPs on the Rivera Records label...
__Can't_You_Hear_Me_Callin'__ and __Rockin'_The_Boat__.  Both are very
good, but only available on LP and cassette.

>2) Does anybody know about a new CD by Mark Hummel, a California-based
>   harp player?

The only two Mark Hummel releases I'm familiar with are
__Harmonica_Party__ and __Hard_Lovin'__.  Both are on a small label...
very hard to find.  Perhaps, they could be ordered thru Rounder at your
local record store.  If you're real interested, I could look for the
name of the label.  (You might also buy a copy of Living Blues magazine
and look for the address of Down Home Music, a good Blues mail order
source.)  I own the __Hard_Lovin'__ CD; it's OK... I love his harp
playing, but I think his vocals are a little weak.  I bought the CD
because it had one of my favorite guitar players... Junior Watson.

Hope this helps,
Elliott New

P.S. -- If you really like William Clarke, buy everything you see by Rod
Piazza & the Mighty Flyers (__Blues_In_The_Dark__ and __Alphabet_Blues__
both on BlackTop).  Also there is a new re-issue of classic Mighty
Flyers stuff, never before available on CD, on Hightone Records.  I
forget what it is called, but it is great... look for it to be filed
under 'Mighty Flyers.'  FANTASTIC HARP, GREAT VOCALS, killer guitar.
Tight band!

P.S.S. -- Actually, you might be interested in the Harmonica Blues
sampler on BlackTop.  Relatively new CD..... Check all this stuff out...
you'll dig it.