Re: Chromatic questions

--Boundary (ID C5pmD2cBGHe3N432otFd9g)

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1993 14:15:00 EST
From: "JACK ELY"@mrgate.mec.ohio.gov
Subject: Re: Chromatic questions
Posting-date: Mon, 29 Mar 1993 00:00:00 EST
A1-format:
A1-type: DOCUMENT

  Brian writes....

  > Chromatic harp questions...            Date:3/11/93
  > I recently got a copy of Kevin's Harps catalog - I'm probably going to get
  > a chromatic harp next.  I see that Hohner has 2 different types, a
  > Chrometa and a Chromonica.  Can anyone briefly explain the difference?
  > The Chrometa is quite a bit cheaper - would it be a good one to start out
  > with?  So far, I've only been playing diatonics.
  >   Thanks for the info!
  >       Brian
  >       brian.morgan@xxxxxxxx
  --------------

  [I wrote this reply 3/11/93 but forgot to post it - jne]

  The chrometta is a plastic combed harp and seems pretty brittle. It dosen't
  seem to be as durable as other plastic (diatonic or chromatic) harps. I
  think it would crack or shatter if dropped on a hard surface. Other than
  that, it has features I like for a beginner. Larger holes, fairly good tone
  and response. I think the Chromettas have a warm, mellow tone. I used to
  recommend it to my beginning students, but that was when you could get them
  for $25.00 or less for the 12 hole model. There are four models of Chrometta
  - 8, 10, 12, and 14 hole. The 8 and 12 hole models start with middle C in
  hole #1. The 10 and 14 hole models have the same range with the addition of
  two holes below middle C. [i.e. - hole 1 on a 10 or 14 hole model would be
  the note G below middle C - BUT - that dosen't mean it is tuned in G].
  According to the Hohner catalog, the chrometta 8 and 10 come in the key of C
  only - The Chrometta 12 and 14 come in the key of C or G. -- Another
  drawback on the Chrometta is the reed plates are attached with nails,
  pressure fitted through the reed plates and are very difficult to work on
  without ruining them - It is even difficult to remove the slide for
  cleaning.

  The Chromonicas (sort of a generic term) come in various sizes, styles,
  quality, and price ranges -- but are all a cut above the Chrometta in
  quality (craftsmanship) and tone. They come in wood comb and plastic comb
  depending on the model. I can't give an analogy of each model here but some
  points are... The Hohner Silver Shadow 64 (16 hole) is made in China but the
  Hohner 64 (16 hole) Chromonica #280 is made in Germany - The Chinese model
  is about half the price and has some good features like bolted construction
  but not the quality. There is also a 10 hole Hohner Silver Shadow - but this
  one is made in Germany and has a wooden comb, it is identical to the Hohner
  #260 except for the cover plates (A good value IMHO).

  If you can get a Chrometta 12 for around $40 - $50 these days it may still
  be a good first choice for beginners.

  New Hohner CX12 (I wrote about this earlier but in case you missed it)...
  Farrell says it is very well engineered. Dick Gardner of the "Cats" and
  expert repairman says it's great! More powerful than the Hohner 270,
  excellent lower octave response. Breaks down quickly for cleaning of the
  slide and mouthpiece. The one piece plastic mouthpiece / cover assembly pops
  off with the removal of a torsion spring, exposing the reed plate / comb
  assembly, for minor repair and cleaning - Reed plates can be removed
  individually, for more serious repair or tuning, by removing 3 machine
  screws. It is, or will be, available in other keys. Standard issue is Black
  and not very pretty but it is available plated in Gold, Silver and in White
  and Maroon colors. The standard black model has a "cheap" look but it stops
  there - the guts are superior quality. I think this is the chromatic
  harmonica design of the future. IMHO - This is the ideal chromatic harmonica
  for beginners or students (if you can shake out the extra bucks) - costs
  more (about $175 list - $105.50 from Farrell) but one harmonica should give
  excellent service for years because it is easily maintained.

  I strongly recommend getting a key of C, whatever model you choose, and I
  also encourage learning to play by note, i.e., learning to read music.
  + Jack N. Ely, Operations Mgr.    Internet: SYS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx +
  + Ohio Department of Education              ely.j@xxxxxxxxxxxxx          +
  + Division of Computer Services     BITNET: N/A                          +
  + 180 E. Engler Street                UUCP: mecsys!ely                   +
  + Columbus, Ohio 43215           Voice: (614)466-7000 FAX: (614)221-6050 +
  +"Have harmonica, will travel."                  [|OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|]=<] +
  +  Wire Cat Daddy, Columbus                      /_________________/     +

--Boundary (ID C5pmD2cBGHe3N432otFd9g)--