Re: introduction

Robert Johnston writes:

> I am interested to talk to anyone interested in the physics
> of harmonicas. I wrote a paper on the subject in 1987 in an
> Australian Journal called "Acoustics Australia". Since then I have
> also been doing some simulations on computer also.

That's interesting! While practicing overblows I noticed some funny things and
started wondering about harp-physics as well.
Because Winslow recommended to practice with the covers off, I could finally see
how reeds are vibrating when bending etc. Both the blow- and draw reeds vibrate
at the same time! And if I understand correctly, when overblowing, you make the
_draw_ reed vibrate! I would very much like to know more about this, especially
about the important role of tongue and mouth position in the process. Unfortu-
nately I do not know of a place where to get Australian Acoustics in the
Netherlands.

By the way, I succeeded in making a reasonably sounding overblow on the first
hole of my (very old) special 20 harmonica but I am not yet able to do it con-
vincingly on any other hole, and if I try to do it without blocking the blow ree
with my finger, it either sounds horribly or not at all. Any suggestions anyone?

Bart de Boer.