A few questions

 > I have a few questions concerning harmonica
 > microphones:

 > 1)  There is a certain raw, distorted, saturated
 > harmonica sound that I have heard in
 > several recordings...Is this sound a result of the harmonica,
 > the microphone, or an amplifier?

 The answer is "yes," along with the talent of the player. One of the biggest
mistakes beginners often make is to engage in an endless hardware search so
they can sound just like their favorite harp artist. It doesn't work that
way. That big, fat sound comes in part just because the harp player can play
his horn. If your sound isn't somewhat fat and nasty when unamplified, it
won't be fat and nasty when amplified.

 Having said that, the equipment does make something of a difference. That
fat sound probably comes from a guitar amplifier with tubes, hooked up to a
"bullet" mic. Shure makes bullet mics with dynamic elements; they have a fat
and distorted tone but aren't very bright - and brightness helps your sound
punch through a band. Hohner (actually, it's made by Astatic)
sells a crystal bullet mic; it's not as fat-sounding but has a more sparkling
high end. I prefer the latter; lots of folks prefer the former.

 > Finally, I had the thought that perhaps an old
 > telephone mouthpiece (not
 > the _really_ old kind that have to be cranked but on
 > old rotary dial tyoe) might
 > have a crystal microphone in it.  Could this be used

 It's actually carbon, I believe, but people have been known to try this. I
wouldn't do it. It's important that a microphone be grounded properly when
plugged into an amp, or you're likely to get a rude electric surprise if your
lips touch a vocal mic while you're trying to sing and hold your harp mic.
You're better off buying a properly grounded mic. Astatics and Hohners are
only about $75 by mail order; Shures are about $90. Both are rudely
overpriced when you consider what's in them, but that's life.

 Hope this helps!