Harp Repair.

Dear Harpers,

  Well it had to happen, and I wouldn't learn until it did.  During sound
check at my gig last Friday I soured the 4 draw reed on my "A" Marine
Band.  Being that it was 9pm and *of course* I didn't have a backup harp,
there I was saying "oh crap!"

  We had time to kill until the show happened, so I pulled apart the harp
and then tried to file down the reed by holding a butter knife underneath
the reed while file away at it with a small file.  Predictablly, the reed
snapped in half.  Which, as it turns out was probably better for me
because now I couldn't cheat and sort use the sour note quickly every
once and a while and get away with it.  Instead I made use of my
opportunity by trying out similar riffs in the songs but with variations
to get around the missing note.

  This has taught me two things.  1)Always carry spares of your most used
harps (for me "C" and "A").  2)Get one of those repair kit things.  As
for #2, what is the consenus?  I know Hohner make a kit and so does Lee
Oskar.  I think I remember the Hohner kit being more expensive and less
useful.  Any more comments?  Are there other kits?

  By the way, the next day I picked up a new Marine Band and have you
people seen the new cases?  The box is the same, but the sticker on top
of it covers the whole top now instead of only the middle part.  Also in
block letters on the front side there is printed "HANDMADE," which is
reassuring.  The bottom of the box now sports the standardized printout
that Hohner is using to catagorize its harps.

--Norbert