Re: Dick Gardner

>When I got back I had a postcard from Dick Gardner and he stated
>that he would not be able to meet me at the airport - but I
>already had found that out the hard way.
>
>this next Monday I propose to call him and give him the
>information that you gave to me.  I will do it from
>here merely to assure that he will have the minimum amount
>of hassle.

Sorry you missed him.  I have only met Dick one time and have talked to him
on the phone a handful of times since February of this year.  According to
Chris Michalek, he is reluctant to get involved in the Internet even though
he may be able to get him free access through a University of Minnesota
connection.

>I'm tryng to figure out how to get the transition to UNIX
>and the VI and ELM and all that jazz exposed to him.

I use shareware on my MAC and don't speak UNIX -- I believe that there are
many windows equivalent packages and may be better suited to Dick's needs,
since I believe this is what he uses at home (or was using when I last
talked to him)

>What I need is an on-site person to tutor him.

I think Chris or I could help, but only if he want's to.  This is really
his choice.  He seems to know enough already to do the 'trial and error'
thing.  Maybe it's he's to busy to learn.   You can try to lead a horse to
water....

>At the same time, I need to get to him some materials to allow him
>to use the VI editor.  He wil need this before he can even download the
>book from somewhere in the Internet.  Of course, we could send him a book or
>    two or three.

Which book are you talking about?  I bought one book on internet and it
told me all I need to know about TCP, USENET, ftp etc.  Again, I don't do
UNIX.

>That is how I see the situation at this time.  As I am in plant shutdown this
>week, I hope to have enough time to deal with him directly.

Presume this means you talk to him on the phone once in a while.  Good
luck. Let me know if I can help.

Regards,                  haandruss@xxxxxxx
Harv                      *Opinions my own*