Date: Mon, 1 Aug 1994 10:17:49 +0100
From: Dan Enright <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BLUES-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: POCONO BLUES FEST. REVIEW

Well,

I'm ready to report on the 3rd Pococno Blues Fest. and let me tell ya, it
was fabulous. So much happened and I have so little time that I'm going
to post the review over the next (enter length necessary) days. This
first post will include background and a review of Eddie Burks
performance. I hope to review a set a day.  I also thought the thread "Is
the Blues Dying" was interesting so I spent a large part of the festival
asking artists (and others present) that question as well as who's coming
along to carry the tradition forward. That meant that unlike last year,
where I sat and listened to every note, this yaer I missed some of the
playing. Still I got to see at least 30 min. of each performance so I was
still happy. I intend to transcribe (Ugh - three and a half hours of
conversation) and post the statements as quickly as I can.

To get to the festival. Niles Frantz was again the mc/host for the
festival and I had a chance to ask him my questions. He's a real nice,
down-to-earth guy and very passionate about the blues (his liner notes
grace my cd "Comin' Home" by Eddie Burks). He's hosted the previous 2
festivals as well and it appears he'll be the host for all of them unless
he's physically unable to attend.

Two workshops were held, one for guitar by Fruteland Jackson and one for
harmonica by Peter "Madcat" Ruth. Both were packed and it looks like
they're going to add more next year. Kevin (I'm not sure of his last
name) of Kevin's Harps fame, donated an instuctional video and was
impressed enough to want to get involved in next years festival and to
help get some kind of harmonica-manufacterer to add some support.
Washburn guitars was kind enough to donate a guitar that was raffled off
to raise money for a blues in the school program. (I have additional info
on blues-in-the-schools including a questionaire to help teachers get
info to deveope curriculum if any body's interested - post me man). I'm
not sure of the amount raised, but it appears to be over a thousand dollars.

They added crafts vendors this year and it was a great addition to the
various blues societies and music sales (including vinyl). I had no funds
so I'm unable to report on that scene. My partner took some notes but I
haven't checked them out.

They had blues videos running most all the time including: Hopkins/Sykes,
Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Koko Taylor, Stevie Ray Vaugn, and BB King
and Friends. I have the info on the availablity, as well as others, but
that's another post. (The Philadelphia Blues Machine is the source)

The NPR program *Blues Stage* was there recording the first stage so
you'll be able to hear the performances during the upcoming season. Anita
Jacobs, thwe shows producer, assured me all sets would be broadcast. I'll
mark the first stage reviews so you'll know to listen for them. (She was
also kind enough to take time out for one of my interviews)

There were several changes on Sat. in the line-ups that were handled
professionally and with aplomb by Michael Cloren the shows producer. The
problems/setbacks were so skillfully done most fans didn't know how rough
it might have gotten, only that the line-up had changed. As I posted
earlier Big Bad Smitty was unable to attend because of a stroke, so
Fenton Anderson was booked to fill that slot. On Fri. morning, Michael
recieved a call that Little Johnny Taylor was unable to perform because
of high blood pressure and throat problems. They brought in (on a moments
notice) Bob Gaddy with Larry Dale and the House Rockers. The final
schedule change was a big dissapointment to me (and everyone else I spoke
to) because Junior Kimbrough was hospitalized in Memphis on his way to the
 Festival and they didn't find out until the festival was underway on
sat. morning. (Junior suffers from liver problems and that was the cause
of the hospitalization) Eddie Burks graciously agreed to fill the slot.

First Stage: EDDIE BURKS with DELTA BLUE
So. The weather was hot as Eddie Burks took the stage, just before noon.
He was accompanied by Bernard Whitaker on drums, Stevie Jones on guitar,
John Baker on bass, and Shedrick "Shad" Davis on lead guitar (Shad also
recorded with Eddie on Comin' Home). He kicked the festival off with a
sweet version of *King Bee* that had some nice riffin' (or should I say
rickin' 8-)) on the harp. He and his band are clearly from Chicago and
they incorporate some rock (but just a hint) ala Geoge Thurogoode (my
apologies, I think it's misspelled). He's got a voice so powerful that I
could hear him without amplification at the sound board (my review spot
of choice). Just incredible. He finished his set with three songs from
*Comin' Home* that got the energy and set the groove for the whole
festival. This is one great performer who's harp playing is as west side
as it gets. I think he's one of the  best living proponets of the craft.

Well that's it. I hope it was interesting enough to warrent the length,
the following posts should be shorter (except for the interviews). I'll
have more info on some of the subjects (films, workshops, etc.) as
seperate posts after the reviews.

I'm already looking forward to next year.

Dan Enright
the music guy                             DO YOU HAVE AN EXTRA
Internet Cafe                                   LAMINATE?
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx