RE: WEIRD HARMONICAS?

FJM writes...

>Has anyone out there ever heard of a Thorens chromatic harmonica?  a shop
>in town has one .  I think it's made by the same people that make the
>turntables.  I t has no valves so therefore plays with more effort than
>you'd expect from a chromatic.  Was this the way they came new or did
>someone rip the valves out per Winslow's  Auto Valve tips?

ACCORDING TO DR. HARP: They were made in Sweden. Thorens also made Music Boxes.
The chromatic probably came without windsavers - one way to check would be to
look for glue traces at the rivet end of the reeds. They were not an especially
good harmonica. Probably comparable to a Koch. Also, they were probably all
Richter tuned. (I.e., Marine Band tuning)

>The other thing this shop has is a Rollmonica.  Kind of like a player piano
>type deal.  You put the roll in and crank it through while blowing and it
>plays a song.  Any further information and or history on either of these
>harmonicas would be appreciated.  See I don't just live and breathe only
>amps.  FJM

ACCORDING TO DR. HARP: Made by the Rollmonica Co. First patented in 1925.
Production stopped prior to WW II. Advertised by "Our Gang" later known as the
"Little Rascals" [Not the harmonica group]. Cost was $1.00 / Rolls were $.10
There were three models...

1) Diatonic, 2) Chromatic and one referred to by collectors as 3) a "Tin Back"
due to the metal cover on the back.

The diatonic has 20 reeds / 10 tones (blow or draw gives same note) - thus they
could be cranked and played continuously without stopping for breath.

The chromatic has 24 reeds / 12 tones.

The rolls would differ for a diatonic or chromatic model.

Antique dealers etc. would like to get $100.00 for them but Dr. Harp says that
is too much - they aren't that hard to find. (The Chromatic & Tin back being a
little harder to find). Up to $50 would be a fair price for one in working
condition.

Caution: Make sure it has the official Rollmonica harp in it and has not been
replaced with a regular diatonic. They don't work worth a hoot without the
specially tuned harmonica. Not that anyone would do this intentionally.

Jack "I wish I knew all this stuff off the top of my head but I had to call
Dr. Harp -aka- Richard Smith for the answers" Ely - Columbus, Ohio

                            SYS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S. Where is this shop?