Re: Joe Filisko

Tim, which do you like the best?  The Custom Marine Band, or the Total
custom Filisko's?  I can't stand roundhole chromatics, except for the
CBH's.  One of the main reasons I never bought a Filisko was the
roundholes.  It's good to know that problem has been solved for me.  I
play left handed with the low notes on the left.  By left handed I mean
that I hold the harmonica in my right hand and cup with my left.  A
consequence of this style is that I play with the harmonica at a 45
degree angle to my mouth. The left side of the harmonica being higher
than the right.  This is the only way I can get a good cup on the
harmonica playing backwards like I do.  Getting back to the round holes.
The reason they don't work for me is that playing at the angle I do I
have a hard time getting a good seal on the individual notes and end up
playing way to self conciously on the round hole harmonicas.  I pucker
and tongue block both depending on the situation.  I've read a lot of
stuff here and other places about the superior tone you get with the
blocking technique.  Nowhere have I read that you give up speed by
blocking.  Does Madcat block?  How about Lee Oskar, Mickey Raphael, or
Charlie McCoy?  Just curious about the different styles people use to
acheive the results they get.  Comments on personal styles of playing are
welcomed.  FJM