Re: Charlie McCoy (tongue blocking OBS)

-Chris Michalek writes...

>Try Charlie McCoy's  13th  Album.  It's actually titled Charlie McCoy's
>13th because it is his thirteenth album.  Also for a full discography you
>can write him and ask him for a key sheet.  He will send to you free of
>charge,  it contains all the records he ever did and what key harps he used.

Thanks Chris M. - I remember years ago learning about Charlie's key charts but
I had forgotten about it. I'll have to look up his address. This will help our
Short Harp SIG.

BTW - I got on the Ferris Allmusic Guide via the Gopher and Charlie McCoy is
there. I was surprised to learn he passed away in 1950. And I didn't meet him
until 1978. ACTUALLY, It seems there was a Charlie McCoy blues artist (1909 -
1950) by the same name. There is only 1 Charlie McCoy in the AMG menu.
Apparently they mixed up the information on the two men of the same name.

Here is an excerpt from Ferris All-Music Guide
------------------
 All-Music Guide (C) 1994  by Matrix Software, Big Rapids, MI 49307
  Please submit corrections or additional albums for this artist
       (also bios, sidemen, tracks, ratings, and reviews)
          at Internet Address: AMG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          All-Music Guidelines in file:  ALLMUSICHELP
 Artist : Charlie McCoy
 Genres : Country, Rock, Blues
 Style  : Acoustic country blues, 70's Pop
 Instr. : Vocals, guitar, mandolin            !What no harmonica?
 Rating : importance (2) popularity (1)

                     All-Music Guide Biography

 McCoy was a Mississippi-born guitar/mandolin player whose best work
 (recorded in the 20s and 30s) shows an amazing versatility. ~ Cub Koda

 ---------- Related Artists -----------
 Johnson, Tommy
 Bracey, Ishmon
 Broonzy, Bill
 ---------- Roots & Influences ----------
 Lacy, Rubin

 Alternate Name    : Papa Charlie
 Birthdate & Place : May 26, 1909  Jackson, MS   !
 Deathdate & Place : Jul 26, 1950  Chicago, IL   !This was the real tipoff
 AMG Artist ID #   : P000000449

    Chronological Album List    |Date|  Label   | Number |R S T|Rating
--------------------------------+----+----------+--------+-----+------
 Beam Me up Charlie             |1989|Step One  |0048    |     |
 Charlie Mc Coy's Thirteenth    |1988|Step One  |0038    |     |
 Greatest Hits                  |197?|Monument  |44353   |  S  |
 Appalachian Fever              |1979|Monument  |7632    |  S T|
 Stone Fox Chase                |1977|Monument  |81886   |  S T|    OK
 Country Cookin'                |1977|Monument  |7612    |  S  |
 Play It Again Charlie          |1976|Monument  |81559   |  S  |    OK
 Harpin' the Blues              |1975|CBS       |47087   |  S  |+BestA
 Charlie My Boy                 |1975|Monument  |33384   |     |
 Nashville Hit Man              |1974|Monument  |32922   |  S  |
 Christmas Album                |1974|Monument  |33176   |  S  |    OK
 Good Time Charlie              |1973|Monument  |32215   |     |
 Fastest Harp in the South      |1973|Monument  |44354   |     | BestA
 Charlie McCoy                  |1972|Monument  |31910   |  S  |
 Real McCoy                     |1969|CBS       |47086   |     |
 World of Charlie McCoy, The    |1968|Monument  |18097   |  S  |
*Out on a Limb                  |Z   |Step One  |67      |R    |  Good
 Country Western & Swing / Sor  |Z   |Adventures|104     |     |
*Complete Recorded Works (1928-1|Z   |Document  |6018    |R S T| BestA
 Christmas                      |Z   |Sony      |22174   |     |    OK
_________________
* I think all the above except the * are the Charlie McCoy we all know. Sorry
for the semi-long post but I thought the discography was worth it. The complete
file is 8 plus printed pages at 8 lpi. If anyone wants the whole thing and
can't access Gopher or AMG - Send me private E-mail and I will send it to you.

P.S. Talk about nice guys - I met Charlie in 1978 when BSHC co-hosted the SPAH
convention in Columbus. We (at SPAH's direction) payed Charlie and one other
act $1,000 to perform. Charlie brought his whole band in an RV from Nashville
(I can't remember them all but Russ Hicks and a gorgeous pianist/vocalist named
Launie?, Lainie? (sp) who I think became Mrs. Hicks was amongst them) I know
that 1k didn't even cover expenses. And did he ever put on a KA show?

				OK. I'm outta here.

        Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio              SYS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx