Re: new harper/tongue blocking

I disagree they might have sounded much better with cheap acoustic guitars
with barb wire for strings.  There's a local group that just got a west
coast gig opening for Taj Mahal.  They have extremly cheap instruments
and aren't the most awesome players you'll ever hear,  but they've got
the feel. At least if thje other guys had had cheap acoustic guitars
they'd have been quieter.  People tend to use equipment as a diversion.
The real issue is trying to communicate feelings through music.  Bob
Dylan's a good example of this.  Not the best harmonica player you'll
ever hear but he meets and exceeds the standard of having a feeling
playing a few notes and communicating those feelings.  I can't fault
anyone that can do that.  There are an awful lot of technical monsters in
this world that fail to move me musicaly.  I'd rather play like Jimi
Hendrix than Jeff Beck.  Jimi Hendrix played upside down guitars.  Would
he have sounded better playing a proper lefthanded guitar?  Earl King did
the same thing.  These guys wanted to play guitar got one and made it
work.  There seems  to be a tendency on this list to generalize
discussions about technique.  My feeling is that this is a dangerous
trend.  There isn't any best one way to do anything.  Technique is
personal and what works for you might not suit another.  By the way
Little Walter's been dead for 30 years and if he were alive today I
suspect he'd be using digital effects and inovating like crazy like he
always did.  FJM