Re: Blues Harp

Hi David,

	Welcome.

	[SNIP]...

> something wrong that I'm not getting the full sound that I want, or is it
> just that it's a Blues Harp and not a Marine Band (which I've heard give a
> fuller sound)?  Thanks for any help you can give me.
> David

 I will not offer advice on playing, as there are many here better qualified
 than me to do that.

 However, the recording thing *may* be part of the problem.
 Have you got a good (half reasonable) recording set up?

 A four track used with care is (not bad) or a good stereo cassett deck
 can sometimes be better. A nice mic. is needed, and for a start you
 could do worse than get a Tandy tie clip mic.

 Really, I mean that.
 I know lots of folk will say things like, "oh no, you need a Sure 4xxx3id9,
 or a Grenn /Silver bullet" :-) Or something.

 If you are just starting, and don't have the gear or the money, or even know
 quite what you want to do with the harp just yet, then start like this.

 You need to be fairly close to the mic (six inches-ish) to get a good full
 sound, although they pick sound up well from several feet away.
 Try not to get too much stray, messy reverb. from the room by putting
 a few blankets up as baffles.

 A *very* sparse help, but I hope it does help a little.
 Getting the recording levels right and getting used to the kit take
 practice.

 Gordon.