Re: Brendan Power\Harmonica Fats

My information comes from a workshop that BP gave at a blues festival
a few weeks ago.

> and Over again.  I'm intrigued.  I know Mr. Power removes the draw valves
> on his chromatics.  How were the chromatics used on the CD tuned?  I've
> read the information available in HIP so I think I know what he used to
> do, but what is he doing currently.  Were the diatonic harmonicas used on

He said that he removes the outside valves so he can bend the chrom so
I assume that as of last month, he was still unvalving his draw reeds.

> this album standard Pro Valves?  I've always been intrigued by yhe
> thought of playing Irish music on harmonica but this CD has put me over
> the edge.  I've got to make one of these chromatics.  I'd also be
> interested in any info on more traditional harmonica recordings of Irish
> or Folk music.  I have read a lot of the archives postings on this

There is only one CD to my knowledge (which I've never got around to
buying, despite the fact that the guys on it are excellent). It's by
two brothers called John and Pip Murphy from Wexford. I think it's on
the Gael-Linn label (an Irish cultural organisation). They play mostly
tremelos rather than diatonics. Brendan Power is quite unusual in that
he uses diatonics (and second position). If there is a problem getting
it, I can probably post it to you.

Trivia note. At the local branch of Virgin, the Murphy's CD is filed under
blues, just next to Matt Murphy. Someone saw harps and thought "Blues".

> copies of any material that exists.  Does Brendan Power tougne block, lip
> block or both?  Thanks to any and all for any help I receive on any of
> the above questions.  FJM

He lipblocks exclusively. He claims to have been too lazy to learn tongue
blocking.

--
Your children may loot, they may murder and shoot,| Mech. Eng. Dept.,
Fornicate and have cardinal knowledge,            | Trinity College, Dublin