RE: The day I stopped worrying...

    Joe Terrasi writes...

    >...so much about my equipment:

    <....> working a small club in Chicago.  I was playing harp and singing.
    >I remember that at the time I was feeling dissatisfied with the sound I
    >was getting from my equipment.  Of course I was certain that there was NO
    >WAY the problem could've been with my playing or technique....
    <....> asked Billy Branch if he wanted to do a couple tunes.  He said sure
    >and came up to play. <....>
    >Using MY equipment - you know, the stuff I was unhappy with - Billy
    >played a couple of tunes. The walls shook. The sky split open with sound.
    >He tore the ROOF off.  The setup that sounded thin and wimpy moments
    >before now sounded like the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

    <....> To make a long story short, that night I decided to take
    >responsibility for my sound no matter WHAT I'm playing through.  Don't
    >get me wrong, I like good equipment as much as the next guy.  I just
    >realized that the sound was >coming FROM me and just going THROUGH the
    >equipment.

    >Play on, you guys.

    I agree with Eric Winsberg - Great story Joe! and well told.

    Now I have to add a couple, not as good but just more examples that a
    carpenter should not blame his tools for poor results.

    SPAH - Columbus, 1978 Harry Bee, whom I had never heard before (but had
    heard a lot about) was selecting a mic for his evening performance. We had
    8 or 9 lined up on stage for the afternoon open playing. I was afraid we
    wouldn't have anything good enough for him, even though our selection
    included a Shure SM57, SM58, a 315 and 330 plus some others not so
    popular. (Not that he was uppity or anything - I just wasn't used to being
    around real pros - he was in fact very warm and friendly). Harry tried
    them all and said I like this one - tapping on a Radio Shack Hi-ball which
    sold for less than $15 then. That evening he blew me away, playing with
    tone and emotion like I'd never heard before. He made me cry with his
    rendition of "The Theme From Exodus" - hell, he cried too.

    Another story is one of sheer breath control and/lung power. I was sitting
    beside Jerry Murad in the hospitality room at a RCHC harmonica festival in
    Akron. This was only two or three years ago. He saw my open harp case
    loaded with a half dozen Hering and Hohner chromatics. He pulled a
    standard looking chromatic out of his case (undoubtedly one he had
    reworked) and said here, try this one. I blew a few notes and it was
    responsive, etc. and I said it was nice. He says NO, BLOW the thing! Put
    something into it. So I did and I got a nice loud response, and I said
    yeh, I really like it. He took it back and said NO, I mean really BLOW the
    damn thing. And at that he played a note that sounded like a Mack truck
    was coming through - ten times louder than what I got out of it.

    Yep folks, good electronics and a well set up harmonica is nice, but you
    got to know some tricks and techniques to make the good sound even better.

    -jack-