Re: still struggling

Kevin Patrick wrote:

>Boy that is good to know.  Well, here goes.  A serious beginner--namely
>me--would like to know what book, or booklet you would recommend to learn
>how to play blues harp?

Hey Kevin!  Good to have you around.

First of all, if you haven't read it yet, Jack Ely's Introduction to the
Diatonic is great.  It's available on the Harmonigopher server at
gopher.wku.edu

There is an excellent book called The Harmonica Handbook, but I can't think
of the author right now.  I'll check when I get home if nobody else answers
here first.  It's not much on playing instruction, but it has a LOT of
great info about the instrument.

There are a lot of basic books offering playing instruction, but I have no
idea which are good.  You might also look into some of the instruction
offered on video.  Check out the Kevin'e Harps catalog - he's got it all.

Everybody has different view on teaching and learning the instrument.  Many
people disagree with mine but I'll offer it anyway.  When I teach brand new
players, I like to stress enjoyment of the instrument.  Since many people
start out wanting to play folk or blues music, I also stress listening to
players you like on recordings.  At first, just listen to enjoy.  Work to
get a feel for that player's style without worring about dissecting it.

You'll need to have some basic skills on the instrument.  Playing single
notes and doing simple bends on the lower register are enough at first.
There are a lot of books that teach these things, but with a little work,
you can probably get a start on your own.

Eventually, you'll find a recordng that you really dig and you like to try
to play to yourself.  Figure out the key of the recording and harp position
its played in and you're on your way (you might want to ask the folks here
on the list once you've picked your tune).  You'll need to be armed with
some basic knowledge of where the changes hit in the music and where those
tonic notes are on the harp, but you should be able to honk around with it
pretty quickly.  (Your guitar background will help more than you realize.)

Try plying with the music as loosely as feels comfortable.  You don't have
to match riffs with it.  Most of all - have fun.  This will be more
motivation to keep working than anything else I know.

It's important to learn some solid theory and technique as well, but you'll
be better able to do that after you have some basic comfort with the
instrument.

If you're interesed in histories of various harp players, get Kim Fields'
book Harmonicas, Harps, and Heavy Breathers.  It became the de facto bible
almost before it was out!

Kevin also writes:
>Also, I have massive hands which currently seems to
>be a bit of a hindrance to playing.  So any suggestions around this
>apparent problem would be helpful too.

Actually, I have small hands (hey, watch it you guys... no jokes!) and I've
always WISHED I had massive hands.  It seems like it would be advantageous
when it come to hand - and especially mic - technique.  So you may find
that your "hinrance" is actually a blessing.

Good luck
Joe

--
    /-/              * HOHNER *               / =-/