Re: Sit-in ettiquite(sp?)

Then Tim wrote:
> This is one of those cats that has been soured by the harp. Even so, he
> could have been a little more polite. After all you just complimented his
> band.
A similar thread was on Blues-L not too long ago about Sit-In ettiquite(sp?)
and Harvey's story seems to fall into this category.  Harvey, sounds to me
like the guy was a flat-out jerk, but if you've ever been in a band...
then you've probably been in this position before.

*OUR* band's policy is:  If we are GOOD friends with the asker *OR* they
are credible musicians, then no prob.  If we don't know the asker, then
during a break, we will call the guy up to the stage and show him our song
list to find out what (if anything) he knows.  If he does know a song or
songs, then I'll usually probe further by saying somthing like, "In what
key or how did *you* learn this song, because we might play it a little
different from you?"  (And we do usually play it different.)  Then with
the volume down on my guitar, I'll proceed to play the the song the way
we do and have them play along or follow - I'll then be able to tell whether
they can play the song or not.  If not, then I'll just say something like,
"Well, y'know man... I don't think we'll have time to work you in, but come
out next time and we'll definitely work you in somehow! :-)  Thanks for
coming out anyway! :-) "

And I wouldn't just be saying that to be nice.  If they did come back,
chances are they probably have practiced or actually learned the song
and therefore we let them jam. :-)  It's always a point of mine to be
polite as possible, because WE ALL were at that level at one time or
another, and it's not in my nature to shoot anybody down and hurt their
feelings. :-)

When it is the other way around, well, to tell the truth, I almost NEVER
ask to get up to jam (unless I know them REAL well).  Seriously.  But
whether I know the band or not, I as a basic rule just don't do it.
However, if they ask ME to jam, then I'll say, "Sure!  You don't have to
twist *my* arm." ;-)  That way, *they* have INVITED me, and I don't feel
like I've imposed anything upon them or put them in an awkward position.

I'm curious what some of *your* (Harp-L'ers) Sit-In policies on BOTH
sides of the performer/patron fence are?

LAter Harpin' people,
Craig S.

|  Craig Smoot                                                        |
|  Systems Analyst / Programmer / Musician                            |
|  Gradkell Systems, Inc. - Huntsville, AL                            |
|  (craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) ...And NO, I'm not in the Army! ;-)   |