Re: Shopping for my first Chromatic Harp.

Dear Chris:

If I understand the question correctly, Hohner does make two configurations
of the 270.  The standard model 270 in the key of C is and has the range
C3 (middle C) through D6.  The other configuration is referred to as the
TENOR model 270.  The Tenor model 270 IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE KEY OF C and
its range is C2 through D5.  The difference is that the tenor model is one
octave lower than the standard model.  Also, it is an item that is not
ordinarilly carried on the shelf of most music stores and therefore, must
be ordered.  The range of the Tenor is equal to the lower 12 holes of the
64 whereas the standard model is equal to the higher 12 holes.

PITCH STANDARD:  Every musical note that we hear is the result of some-
thing viabrating and [usually] something else resonating at a given
pitch, or frequency.  This "frequency" is not unique to music alone.
Radio and t.v. stations broadcast at specific frequencies.  Computers
have a clock speed that is measured as frequency.  Frequency is equal to
the CYCLES PER SECOND that something moves.  The "A" string on a violin
viabrates back and forth at the frequency of 440 times in one second.
The 4th octave "A" string on the piano (the one above middle C) viabrates
back and forth at the frequency of 440 times per second.  As well, the
"A" reed in hole 3 of the Hohner 270 viabrates back and forth at the
frequency of 440 times per second.  Frequency, or cycles per second,
is measured in HERTZ.  The abbreviation for Hertz is Hz.  So we commonly
encounter the frequency of pitch from Contra A on the piano (the lowest)
at 55 Hz to A7 (the highest) at 7040 Hz.  As you can see, the higher the
pitch, the greater the frequency.  If you take your chromatic harmonica
and play an A3 (draw hole 3), then play an A4 (draw hole 7), your ear will
recognize that as an octave.  Did you ever realize that what you heard was
the doubling of frequency?  Well, it is.  The A3 viabrates at 440 Hz, and
the A4 viabrates at 880 Hz.  Let's apply this to a harp in the key of A.
If you blow hole one of the harp, you are blowing an A2.  This is the same
A note as found by drawing on the lower octave hole 3 of a Hohner 64.
This reed (being an A2) viabrates at 220 Hz.  On the same harp, by blowing
hole 4, you will hear an A3 which is viabrating at 440 Hz.  In between the
octaves are 12 half steps.  In today's tuning system, the 12 half steps are
all equal intervals--hence the term Equal Temperment tuning.  If the
standard of pitch (A=440) is changed, so are all of the other pitches of the
scale.  In the U.S., the standard of pitch is A=440.  In Europe however, the
standard of pitch is A=445.  Yes.....United States violinists tune their
violins to a different pitch than Euopean violinists.  The recordings of
European orchestras will sound out of tune if you try to play along with
your U.S. tuned instrument.  Brass and Woodwind instruments manufactured
in Europe have designations of having been built for domestic (European)
or export (U.S.) use because of this difference of pitch.  As well as
playing the harmonica, I also play the tuba.  I have encountered playing
in bands where another tuba player had purchased his tuba in Germany while
stationed there in the U.S. Army.  He thought that he was getting a
bargain when he purchased a CC Mirafone 186 5V tuba for $2000.  But what
he did was brought home a piece of brass which sounded aweful when played
with American bands because of its difference in pitch.  I own the same
tuba, and I wish that I could have bought mine for $2000...it is an
instrument which holds a list price of $12,000...I suppose that pitch
has its price.

WHY DO SOME PLAYERS PREFER A HARMONICA TUNED IN A=443 OR A=445?
Some of us harmonica players have very good lungs--we don't know
our own strength.  When we blow and draw on those tiny reeds, they
easily give in to our unknown power.  By drawing hard, we slow the
reeds' viabrations which changes the pitch and causes it to go lower.
When we draw hard on a harmonica which is tuned A=440, the resultant
pitch is perhaps A=438 or even A=435...which are nice, but havn't been
used since for two centuries.  So when we use a harmonica whose pitch
standard is higher than A=440, we generally then play in tune with the
rest of the band.  The great Jerry Murad tunes all of his harmonicas
to A=445.  He does this because of his powerful vibrato which does
slow the frequency to American standard pitch.

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A MUSETTE CHROMATIC ?
There is custom built chomatic harmonicas which employ a double reed
system similar to an Hohner Echo, except that these are air tight.
Jerry Murad uses one of these Musette Chromatics for two numbers in his
show--Tommy Reilly's VALSENTINO, and a portion of Pete Pederson's
PARISIENNE FANTASIE.  What makes this harmonica different is that for
each note, there are two reeds.  One reed is tuned to A=440, and
the second is tuned to A=443.  When played simultaneously, the effect
is that of an out of tune accordion.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
George