Peg Leg Sam and Temp 110

Harpers,
	Has anyone heard of Peg Leg Sam (Arthur Jackson). I picked up a
bargain tape of him on Tomato Label, the only existing recording, I think.
Am I wrong? He has a breathy, deceptively simple, folk blues style. Great
tone and dynamics. Great vocals-a voice with real character. He does the
best John Henry I have ever heard, bar none. John doesnÕt die, but prevents
a train wreck. In this song, Peg exhibits the vision of a great
folktale-teller. The album was recorded (early 1970Õs) just a few years
before he died, in his seventies, of emphysema! How he did it with a lung
ailment is beyond me. The whole album is not great, but four cuts make it
very worthwhile, in my estimation. I think he should get a little
attention. It is a dirty shame he lived and died in obscurity and poverty.
A few sessions like this one would have produced some lasting folk blues,
IÕm sure. Check him out. By the way, he lost his leg jumping a train, and
his face was badly disfigured in a knife fight. Guess he lived Ôdem blues.
If anyone has heard anything at all about Peg Leg Sam please get back to
me.
	Also, does anyone know if Sonny Boy ever recorded another version of
Temperature 110 besides the one on the Bummer Road album (June 1960, Chess
Records). The harp break is one of my all time favorites. Maybe it isnÕt
real technically difficult, but, Man, is it RIGHT! And TIGHT! I know 99
Below Zero, a similar song recorded in 57, but just wonder if Temp. 110
existed anywhere else.

Thanks

-Ted Allbritton
Allbrit_t%aplvax.span@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx