vintage BASS harmonica for sale

I received a phone call this evening from a man who has a piece
of history for sale.

his name is Howard Hyatt, and his late father put himself through
City College of New York 50 years ago playing bass harmonica with
a harmonica ensemble led by Leo Diamond, who went on to be star
soloist and arranger for Borrah Minnevich's Harmonica Rascals.

The senior Mr. Hyatt went on to study at Harvard and alter, when
both he and Mr. Diamond had settled in southern California,
continued taking lessons with Mr. Diamond well into his 50's.

Anyway, the younger Mr. Hyatt has two bass harmonicas left by his
father and feels that they should be enjoyed and played by
someone who can appreciate them, and so is offering them for
sale.

One instrument is a single reed Yamaha bass (Orchestra Single
Bass) not in good condition (several notes don't play, reason
unknown), but the other is a Hohner No. 265 with ivory
mouthpieces, about 50 years old, in good playing condition (he
played it for me over the phone), with the original box.

I was able to ascertain that its range was the same as a 265 by
having him play it and describe the note markings on the top
cover. However, on the bottom cover, where the "No. 265" marking
appears on my bass, there was no indication of the model number,
although other customary Hohner markings were present. I didn't
see the instrument, I'm only relating what he told me on the
telephone.

Mr. Hyatt did not name a price, and I didn't suggest one, beyond
the conjecture that it's probably worth several hundred dollars,
given its age and condition, and the present cost of a new one.

If you're interested, contact him -

Howard Hyatt
2005 California Street #25
Mountain View CA 94040
415-988-0984

I advised him to contact Harmonica Happenings and American
Harmonica Newsletter, as well.

Winslow Yerxa