Re: Harmonica and reading music

I just want to chime in on what ROB wrote on Tuesday, January
25, 1994.

[text deleted]

>to say "it seems unlikely....that learning to read music will necessarily make
>one a better player" is patently ridiculous. Let me say right here, ******,
>without any equivocation, that if you take the trouble to learn to read
>music on the harmonica, you will expand your musical horizons and so tre-
>mendously enhance your harmonica capabilities that you'll look back on this
>statement and wonder "How could I have ever said such a thing."

1. Has anyone on Harp-L ever played the harmonica part to BIG RIVER ?
2. Has anyone on Harp-L ever seen the harmonica part to BIG RIVER ?
3. Has anyone on Harp-L ever played the score to BIG RIVER ?
4. Has anyone on Harp-L ever seen an orchestral score?

Anyone who answers yes to the four statements above, will understand the
value of reading music and understanding transposition of orchestral
instruments.  BIG RIVER is a 1985 stage production which featured the
harmonica in the pit orchestra.  In 1992, I had the opportunity to perform
this musical with two different production companies in NorthEastern Ohio.
One performance was "low budget" and required me to transpose trumpet, and
clarinet Bb parts, as well as read flute and trombone concert pitch parts.
On this job, I was presented with the score at the first rehearsal and told
to play ALL solo lines for all instruments.  I was real glad that this gig
was only four nights.  The second gig was for a month long and 5 performances
per week.  There was a house orchestra consisting of union musicians covering
all other parts in the score....so my headache was diminished greatly.
However, realizing that I was the only harmonica player in town (except for
Jerry Murad) who could read, interpret, and play the style that the composer
desired, I demanded more money.  AFM local 86-242's scale for musicians in the
Youngstown Playhouse is $37.50 per service (all performances and rehearsals).
I demanded and recieved $60.00 because once again, I could read the part.

>Certainly,
>sight-reading does not a musician make, just as sight reading English won't
>a dramatic actor make, but certainly reading language will help....help,
>tremendously.

I disagree with ROB here.  The practice of sight reading is more mental
practice and practicing your muscle's agility more than anything else.
Sight reading of new music stimulates the brain.  Sight reading music
in key signatures other than "C" sharpens the skill of the chromatic player.
Sight reading is a skill which is learned, and necessary to all musicians.

[text deleted]

>...But, harmonica ... should be taught ... as other musical instruments
>and that means learning standard notation and music theory.    ROB

I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY IN THIS CONCEPT OF LEARNING STANDARD NOTATION
AND MUSIC THEORY.

George

--
      George Miklas, Bass Harmonicist, Jerry Murad's Harmonicats
                     E-Mail:  ah567@xxxxxxxxxxx