SPAH convention 1994

This was by far the best SPAH convention I have been to!!  Even though the
Brownstone Hotel had to be the worst in Memphis.  I had to opportunity to
catch up with old friends and make new ones.  I mainly hung out with the
diatonic players, Buzz Krantz, Joe Filisko, Winslow, Harmonica Bob,
Charlie Musselwhite jr, Phil Duncan...

On Tuesday, Winslow, Buzz, and myself were asked to perform a song
representing the diatonic group. We made it through a TERRIBLE rendition
of Blue Monk.

After the performance Winslow, Robert Bonfiglio, Joe Filisko, myself and
others went to a local bar for some drinks.  Robert entertained us all
with his stories.  Looking at Winslow I could tell he was having a
wonderful time talking with Robert.  (Winslow will have to tell you more
for the rest of us fell asleep)

Wednesday,  Robert Bonfiglio gave his seminar on classical playing.
Towards the end of the seminar I met CHris Pierce,  and introduced him
to the others as we took the trolley down to Beale St.  We stopped at BB
King's for the buffet.  (Traditional southern food,  fish,  black eye
peas,  chicken and dumplings.  Excellent)
Back at the hotel Robert Bonfiglio gave a solo striking performance.
Since SPAH could not afford a symphony to play behind Robert, he resorted
to playing along with his CD.  Good Performance considering the situation.

After listening to Robert play Buzz, Joe Filisko, Phil Duncan and myself,
went back down to Beale St.  We stopped agin a BB's  were Ruby Wilson and
the King B's were playing.  This was a smokin' band,  the besty that I
heard while in Memphis.  I was invited up to play with the King B's. I had
the time of my life playing with them for two songs.  The third set ended
at 12:30 so we all went across the street to Blues City.  Again I was
invited to set in with the band. What a blast!!!  But soon enough 2:30
rolled around so we all headed back to get some sleep.

Thursday,  Winslow kicked off the day with his very enlightening seminar,
"Mantaining a constant tone on the diatonic"  This was the day the Memphis
Heritage and Music Festival started.   This was also the night of the
Blues Jam hosted by the Joyce Cobb band and MC'd by Buzz Krantz.  I was
the first up and neither I nor the band were sufficiently warmed up so
needless to say my performance was less than dazzling.  The highlights of
the show included Charlie Musselwhite, Joe Filisko, Kim Field, Kirk "jelly
roll" Johnson  and Winslow who blew everybody away with his singing.

After the jam we then continued on with our nightly escapade  down to
Beale St. with Charlie Musselwhite Jr. Jelly Roll,  Winslow,  Joe Filisko,
Phil Duncan, Kim Field, Buzz, and others.  We again stopped at BB's and
then watched Maurice John Vaughn over at Blues City.  I trieed to get
Charlie Jr up to play but he was too shy,  Maurice introduced us to
Freddie Dixon(Willie Dixon's son) 2:30 rolled around so we all went back
to get some rest.

A recap of Friday and Saturday tomorrow....

-Chris Michalek