Re: Brendan Power/Temple Bar Blues Festival

> The most interesting thing is his "jaw-flick" which he uses fro Irish trad
> tunes as a fluent way of changing note. The idea is that he moves his lower
> jaw sideways to get an adjacent hole.

Brendan talked about this technique at one of the workshops he gave at
Whitby folk festval last year. It was a joint workshop along with Will
Atkinson (eighty years old then) of the Northumbrian group the Shepherds.

Will said he also uses the same technique. Both of them agreed that it
gave more control and precision for less movement of ther harp.

I have tried it myself,and suprisingly it does not take a great deal of
learning. Having said that, I tend not to use it, due mainly to lazyness
of the thinking process.

That is to say, I tend to play what I know best, so unless I work hard
at something, I forget to use it.

> He is also a thoroughly nice guy and his CD is bloody excellent.
> --

Yes indeed,  all I can can add to that is that he is *very* shy and spends
most of the time (playing) in what I call the Brendan Power stance, head
down, looking at the floor. He is Mr. nice guy in person.

Gordon