Harp Font

TO: internet:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Is anyone out there interested in a computer font for writing
harmonica music, for onscreen display and printing?

I've just finished the alpha version of Harmonica Sans Serif. It
works for both chromatic and diatonic harmonicas, and will be
used in HIP, starting in No. 5, and in other Harmonica
Information Press publications.

It contains symbols that can be used for both chromatic and
diatonic harmonicas.

Harmonica Sans Serif contains combined number/arrow symbols for
12 holes, and for the extra four "Dot" holes at the bottom of a
16-hole chromatic.

There are 64 such symbols, four for each of up to sixteen holes.
For each of these holes there is a

  BLOW symbol (UP arrow, hollow)	   (ALL harmonicas)

  DRAW symbol (DOWN arrow, hollow)	   (ALL harmonicas)

  BLOW/SLIDE-IN symbol (UP arrow, solid)   (Chromatics)

  DRAW/SLIDE-IN symbol (DOWN arrow, solid) (Chromatics)

To clarify - there is, for example, one symbol for blow Hole 12 -
you don't have to assemble an arrow, a "1" and a "2" - it's all
one symbol - just press the "=" key on your keyboard.

The arrows are wide, with small tails, for easy legibility, even
in small sizes (I've tested it at 7.2 points with good results).

There are also number-only symbols, which can be placed under the
main symbol, to notate chords.

For bending, there is a flat, a double flat, and a triple flat.
These can be placed in front of a number, to indicate how many
semitones a note is to be bent.

For overblowing, there is a double sharp (the main overblow
symbol) and a sharp, to indicate an overblow raised in pitch.

Symbols relating to rips, scoops, and falloffs will be added, as
will symbols relating to slide ornaments.

Harmonica Sans Serif can be used in text-editing programs to
write simple lines of tablature or to drop a harmonica reference
into a line of text, or as a "lyrics" font in music
notation programs to place tablature under written rhythms or
fully-written music. So far I've tested it with Finale 2.2
(windows version).

It will be available as a Type 1 Postscript font, and as a
Truetype font for the Windows, OS/2 and Macintosh environments.
It will work with all printers supported by Adobe Type Manager
(Mac or windows) and by the Windows environment. Special versions
can be custom ordered for use with DOS programs such as
WordPerfect.

Contact me for pricing and availability.

Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica Information Press