Re: Old Standby

On Tue, 14 Jun 1994, Steven D. Levine wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 1994, Thomas Lilleston wrote:
>

> > > What's the word on the Hohner Old Standby? Is it just a cheap version of
> > > a Marine Band? I know that Charlie McCoy plays them, and I think a few
> > > other great players have mentioned using them. Being, on the most part, a
> > > Marine Band player, I'm considering trying out a couple. Anyone have any
> > > good or bad experiences they'd like to share with them?
> > >
> > > -Steve
> > >
> >  Charlie Musselwhite has been known to play them on occasion too. I've
> > tried one or two in "C" and they just seemed like cheap Chinese plastic
> > Hohners to me, similar to Pocket Pal harps. They look a lot like
> > Special 20s but they don't sound as good to my ears.
> >  If you want to try a plastic harp and you're using a marine band now,
> > I'd recommend the Special 20s. They have somewhat similar tone, IMHO.
> > I've been using them quite a bit these days although I still prefer
> > the ease of use of Lee Oskars. Lee's opted for the bright tuning,
> > though, and I'm finding that the Special 20s sound better close-miked
> > for blues playing.
> >  Obviously, that's an opinion. Please don't kill me.
>
> So the Old Standby is plastic? I always thought they were wood. I've
> played a fair share of Special 20's (which Sugar Blue favors) and Lee
> Oskars but I prefer Marine Bands.

The Old Standby used to have a wood comb.  I have tried the plastic ones
but they nowhere near as good as the the old wood ones. (They used to have
a sweet mellow tone which I suppose is the reason why McCoy played them)

You can still find the the old wood ones around if you try hard enough.  I
know where there are a few of them right now.

Chris Michalek