Re: Overblows and how to do it!!

>Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 15:48:53 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Christian N Michalek <micha018@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>On Thu, 16 Jun 1994, Bo Parker wrote:
>
>> Chris Michalek wrote:
>>
>> > Am I wrong on this???? I don't think so. The five hole overblow on a
>> > C harp is F# a minor third above the tonic E.
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> F# is a major second (two half-steps) up from E. G is a minor third (three
>> half-steps) up from E. No doubt about it...

I didn't see this message yet but I wanted to say that this is the best way
to determine an interval....count the half steps between the notes.  A
major third is four half-steps, a minor third is one less, like Bo said.
So I guess it's true what they say...Bo knows!

>Well,  yes in an E scale G IS a minor third but I was talking about a
>minor 3rd in respect to the E within the C scale.

Dosen't make a difference what the scale is, take for instance the key of A
minor.  both the notes E natural and G natural occur in that scale, or
D major or G major etc., and the interval between them is ALWAYS a minor third.
(remember an upside-down minor third is a major sixth or vice-versa)

>Sorry.  I should have explained myself better.  I was being a bone-head when
>I took offense to Bill's original post.  I failed to see what he was talking
>about.  Again I apologize!!!!

Maybe I should apologize too.  I know I respond when I see a mistake in
someone else's post, but my intent isn't to embarass the original poster or
to show off or anything.  It's just that we all have different levels of
theory understanding and I feel obligated to make sure that those of us who
are struggling with this sort of thing don't get confused because one of us
who know better make a simple mistake.  I hope that you all will take it as
an assault on misinformation...not on any particular individual.  This is a
great list, not only because of all the information we get from it, but
also because of the spirit of comradery and lack of flamage.  I for one
like it that way.

Billong>--StarGazer   Harp On!