Marine Band repair

Hi
I've been reading the posts on repairing Marine Bands and am
interested in adjusting the offset of the 2 draw reed of my A harp.
However, the cover plates seem nailed down rather than
screwed down ( though the nails (?) have a screwdriver slot ).
Honestly, these fasteners don't look like they adhere to
any standards as far as I can see. It is sort of unsettling to
see the level of workmanship on the 1896 Marine Band.
So my question is what is the best way to get the cover plates
off. Once I do that should I use any special tools to
adjust the offset ?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Shankar.