Re: Midi harp info needed

	Dan McEvers mentions he's looking for a midi harmonica. I too am
quite interested in such an instrument. For one thing, harmonicists could
play in whatever voice they choose. While I love the sound of metal reeds,
I'd like to experiment with others sounds. Then, there would be the joy
of never having to replace reeds, since there wouldn't be any. Ideally
there would be no moving part at all, except the "slide" button. Then
there would be the flexibility in tuning it to any key, or even changing
tunings, having different parts of the harp play different voices or
having some notes be be chordal. The mind boggles at the possibilities.
Finally, there would be the ability to quietly toot away say, on a
public bus, while listening to yourself on earphones.
	If there isn't one out there, I'd like to build a prototype. I'm
no electronics whiz, but I have a hammer and saw et c. Any suggestions
for a sensor to detect blows and draws from the same hole? I'd say just
for simplicity I'd start out with whatever mechanism Yamahah uses on their
midi saxaphone, but they only have to worry about blowing. There's always
the idea of two sensors per hole with the in and out flow sepparated by
valves, but I'd like to avoid moving parts altogether. Anyway, any
relevant suggestions would be appreciated.
	One more thing..is there a harmonica with whistles (like a penny
whistle or organ) rather than flexible reeds? It might have an
interesting sound, and eliminate reed fatigue--though I don't see how it
could not be valved.
			-Spence

Spence Pearson                                  pearsone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cybermensch                                     University of Colorado, Boulder