Harmonica Rascals

TO: internet:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Keith Graham asks about the Harmonia Rascals. I'm surprised the
list hasn't been inundated with replies, but then, things have
been kind of quiet lately.

The best single source for information would be Kim Field's book,
"Harmonicas, Harps and Heavy Breathers." The best source for
records is the usual round of flea markets and used record
stores.

As mentioned, Borrah Minevitch (the spelling varies), was more an
organizer (and exploiter) than a musician. Some of the excellent
players in the rascals later made records under their own names,
including Johnny Puleo (the midget of the group, who was also the
focus of much physical comedy) and Leo Diamond, who had a
beautiful, violin-like tone. This at least increases your chances
of finding more records. Ernie Morris, the black member of the
group, was said to have a gorgeous tone, and was also a pioneer
of overblowing in the 1930's, but, to my knowledge, made no
records outside the Rascals. Jerry Murad was also a rascal early
in his career, and went on to have huge success with the
Harmonicats.

The Rascals started sometime in the 1920's and lasted at least
into thje 1950's when Eddie Gordon joined. Many aficionados
concur that 1937 was their peak year for quality recordings.

There are plenty more players who came out of both this band and
this tradition, and I'm sure my omissions will be made up by
others. If you really want to connect with this tradition, you
ought to get in touch with SPAH - the Society for the
Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica. They have a
newslettter, Harmonica Happenings, and hold a convention every
year. This year's is in Memphis July 12-16 and will feature
several great players from that era.

SPAH PO Box 865
TROY MI 48099-0865

For The Schille MIDI harp