Question: Determining key of recordings

--- Begin Message ---
    Does anyone have a tip on how to figure out what key a song is being
    played in. For instance; I have a tape which was sent to me by a friend in
    Japan. It is a concert by several groups / individuals. There is one guy
    playing two nice numbers on diatonic. "Summertime" and "The House of the
    Rising Sun" -- No, that's not a Japanese song. ;-) -- Anyway, we are
    trying to learn them in our Short Harp SIG. I can almost play along with
    the tape but eventually come to a note that sounds on tape like it is a
    natural - yet I have to bend to get it or visa versa. This leads me to
    believe the tape or the tape deck is off pitch. (Which is usually the
    case). This has always bugged me about learning from tape or records
    because it could be a half tone (or worse) sharp or flat and we are trying
    to learn it in the wrong key -- or struggling in a key which is more
    difficult to play in because we've got the wrong harp.

    I've seen $500.00 decks be off pitch and $19.00 decks be on pitch - go
    figure. So my advice there is to check it out before you buy or get a deck
    with pitch control (see BTW). Then we are at the mercy of our source - we
    don't know if a tape was produced on pitch or not -- even commercial ones.

    Maybe the answer is to record live stuff on video tape - Have you noticed
    VCR's are very accurate. (Not to mention the great sound quality on a
    Hi-fi stereo VCR -- rivaling CD).

    BTW - our club just bought a dubbing deck with pitch (speed) control. JVC
    has two models the TD-W309 $219.00 and the TD-W709 $279.00 (only
    difference is the TD-W707 records on both the A and B deck). I mention
    this because I have looked for years for a reasonably priced dubbing deck
    with pitch control - very hard to find under $500.00. These prices are
    from a Crutchfield catalog. We actually got the TD-W309 a little cheaper
    at a local discount house for $197.00. If you want one; better jump on it
    because this is last year's model and I'm told (by a questionable source)
    that the new JVC's won't have pitch control. The local stores here are
    running out of stock - I had to go to three stores to find one.

    Disclaimer: I do not advocate the use of dubbing decks to pirate
    commercial recordings. In fact I have written articles in Harmonica
    Dispatch to discourage this practice and have refused loaning out my
    recordings (other than those that are out of print) if I thought they were
    being borrowed for the purpose of copying.

    Huh, now what got him off on that tangent? Wasn't he just asking a
    question?
                      Jack Ely      ely.j@xxxxxxxxxxxxx@pmdf

--- End Message ---