Note Bending

Nick Robertshaw <bignick@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>Harmonica players (at least the blues or draw harp variety) can bend the
>notes from their free reeds.
>
>Does anyone know...
>
>1. what they do to make this happen
>
>2. why it happens (the accoustic physics)
>
>3. if a bellows-propelled reed could be made to do the same thing

I hear Art Van Damme do it all the time on his recordings.  He plays a
piano accordion and generally does the note bending with just the
bassoon reeds (the low octave set) selected.  I'd sure love to know
how he does it.  Does anyone have any contact with Art in order to ask
him about it?

I suspect it must be done as suggested by Robert Powell below - but
I'd love to know for sure.

Robert Powell RD <rpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>I've been told the following:
>A harmonica player bends a note by restricting the air flow
>while inhaling extra hard.  You can also bend a note exhaling but
>it is much harder.
>
>> 3. if a bellows-propelled reed could be made to do the same thing
>>
>Leave the pad nearly closed and pull extra hard?  I've
>never tried this but it should be similar to what a harmonica
>player does.

Alan

Alan Polivka                     Internet: apolivka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
P.O. Box 061904                      UUCP: uunet!x102a!apolivka
Palm Bay, FL 32906-1904             phone: 407-729-2983
/