Re: amp mics

>	I would like to start putting my amp through the PA at gigs
>	Any advice from the list on the best type of mics to use?
>	Is this really the best way to be heard and still have
>	control over your sound?
>	Thanks, George Boziwick      NYPL

IMHO, using microphones to amplify an amplifier on stage just creates
multiplying problems for the sound engineer.  Today, we use direct boxes
as opposed to microphones.  If you want to preserve the sound of your
speaker, then the only way is a microphone.  However, if you want to
help to eliminate problems as feedback, background noise, and foot tapping,
then you will want to look into a direct line.

Most amplifiers today are equipped with a jack labeled LINE OUT, PREAMP OUT,
RECORDING LINE OUT.  These jacks usually have a high impediance signal.
Most professional PA systems have low impedance microphone lines coming to
the stage which means simply that you will need a line transformer.  But
in some strange cases, external devices can cause noise in the line which
require such function as reversing the ground.  In this case, a professional
sound engineer is equipped with a small patch box that takes care of this
procedure.

While good microphones start at $100, you can purchase a line transformer
for $20-30.  The better patch boxes start at $50, however I believe that
Dick Gardner is making one of these at a resonable cost.

George Miklas, Bass Harmonicat