Re: amp mics

>        I would like to start putting my amp through the PA at gigs
>        Any advice from the list on the best type of mics to use?
>        Is this really the best way to be heard and still have
>        control over your sound?
>        Thanks, George Boziwick      NYPL

I have to agree with Tim & Christian. Especially if you're playing blues or
rock and trying to get an over-driven sound. I was recently listening
closely to the harp sound on "Help Me" from the first Canned Heat album and
you can hear the honking of the 4x10 cabinet. If they would've used a
direct out, the harp would have an entirely different feel. Besides, most
of the classic amps don't have a line-level direct out. They may an output
to drive an external speaker cabinet but that's much to high a level to
drive a PA board.

The nice thing about the Shure SM57's and SM58's is that they have an
excellent price to performance ratio(reasonable cost for the quality) and,
you can pound nails with 'em all day and sing through 'em all night.