Re: amp mics

>>	I would like to start putting my amp through the PA at gigs
>>	Any advice from the list on the best type of mics to use?
>>	Is this really the best way to be heard and still have
>>	control over your sound?
>>	Thanks, George Boziwick      NYPL
>
>IMHO, using microphones to amplify an amplifier on stage just creates
>multiplying problems for the sound engineer.  Today, we use direct boxes
>as opposed to microphones.  If you want to preserve the sound of your
>speaker, then the only way is a microphone.  However, if you want to
>help to eliminate problems as feedback, background noise, and foot tapping,
>then you will want to look into a direct line.
>
>Most amplifiers today are equipped with a jack labeled LINE OUT, PREAMP OUT,
>RECORDING LINE OUT.  These jacks usually have a high impediance signal.
>Most professional PA systems have low impedance microphone lines coming to
>the stage which means simply that you will need a line transformer.  But
>in some strange cases, external devices can cause noise in the line which
>require such function as reversing the ground.  In this case, a professional
>sound engineer is equipped with a small patch box that takes care of this
>procedure.
>
>While good microphones start at $100, you can purchase a line transformer
>for $20-30.  The better patch boxes start at $50, however I believe that
>Dick Gardner is making one of these at a resonable cost.
>
>George Miklas, Bass Harmonicat

Not too many of us worker bees have "professional sound engineers" on the gig
(not counting myself) and it is not only customary, but the approved solution in most
live gigs is not a direct box or a line out, but a venerable SM-57 put on the amp.  Don't
drape it over the amp either.  That points the mic at the ground.  This is a source of
feedback.  Get a little clamp with a gooseneck and a mic clip.  It was one of the best $15
that I have spent.  I don't know too many harp players or guitar players that  would want
their sound running direct.  I have been micing my Princeton for a long time with an SM-57
and it sounds great.

Bernie Clarke
"Don't start me to talkin', I'll tell everything I know" - SBWII