Re: SM57's (was amp mics)

On Tue, 15 Nov 1994, Richard Owen wrote:

> What's the difference between the SM57 and SM58 (which I believe Charlie
> Musselwhite uses).  Anyone know?

 The '57 has a straight end and is *very* directional - it only picks up
the sounds immediately in front of it. This makes it an excellent
microphone for close-mic use for amps, drums, etc. The SM58 has a ball
end and a wider pick-up pattern. This makes it popular for vocals and
it's also easier to hold, IMHO, for hand-held harp playing. The wider
pick-up makes it more susceptible to feedback but also makes it a better
mic for chromatic playing, among other uses.
 The tone of the two mics is very similar. If I were to pick one, I'd
pick the 58 just because it's so much easier to hold. BTW, Musselwhite,
James Cotton, Carey Bell and some other folks use a 58 run straight
through the PA for the most part. They still sound great.