Crystal balls mic

fm: christian.laferriere@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subj: Crystal balls microphones.

I recently bought a new Astatic M-127 crystal element to replace my
old controlled reluctance element in my Sure 707-A mic. When looking
at Kevin's harps catalogue, I noticed that there is a (supposedly) better
mic called the Crystal balls which is currently being used by the likes
of Gary Primich, Rick Estrin etc.
I understand that the makers of this mic use the standard JT-30 mic
element, but  perform some electronic "Magic" with it. Now I have been
debating this with a technician I know and although the advertisment
says that with this mic they have boosted mid and high frequencies while
increasing the overall gain (apparently without a battery), my tech friend
says that they probably just used a notch filter to knock down the lower
frequencies and then the user turns his volume higher.

Can anyone comment on this, does anyone know how to modify a JT-30 to get
an even better sound (although I think it is impossible to get any better).

As well, What kind of potentiometer would you put on your mic for the best
control.
I have used a 25k Ohm mini-pot but find the fine tuning difficult. I am waiting
for the local shop to get its shipment of 250k Ohm mini-pots to see if I
can get better control with one of them.
If any of the readers have electronic "tips" for the mic modifyers around, they
would be appreciated.
Thanks

Christian Laferriere
Gatineau, Qu?bec