Re: buzzing chromatic

On Tue, 22 Nov 1994, Steven D. Levine wrote:

> I'm having a problem with one of the reeds on my 64 Chromonica. The 4
> draw/slide out (that's the 4 draw in the very first octave of the harp -
> in the extra 4 holes) is making a very annoying buzzing sound. It sounds
> like someone's playing a comb with a piece of paper. This also happens
> occasionally with the 1 draw (the 1 draw right next to the 4 draw I
> mentioned). Is the windsaver causing this? I don't want to take it apart
> since I'm fairly new to playing chromatic. Anyone else had this problem?
> Is there a simple solution? (I already tried tapping it against my hand
> to get any excess moisture out).

Sounds like the wind savers.  Find the ones that are bad. Usually the
ones that are sticking up when viewed from the back.  Take off the cover
plates and with a fine tweezers(I use a curved forceps used for
microsurgery) separate the two layers of the windsavers and put a slight
kink in the top layer to make them both lay flat.  that should do the trick.

-Chris Michalek