RE: Howard Levy, Chromatics, ...

Steven wrote...

8<---

>Thanks Jack, but I'm sure it is not a Hohner Chrometta. The comb isn't made of
>plastic, but is the same material as the cover plates (iron ?). I remember my
>friend saying it had something like Chromonica Deluxe on the cover plates. The
>slide is not a button like on most chromatics, but is rather a design slide
>built-in in the side of the comb.
>
>Steven De bruyn.

Hi from the other Jack. You got my curiosity up - I know what harp you are
referring to but don't remember the details. Time for a call to Dr. Harp...
... OK. I'm back.

Dr. Harp sez - This is a Hohner - They were manufactured around the 1950s - (I
forgot to ask him the name, but I think Chromonica Deluxe is correct) - They
came in two sizes, 10 hole & 12 hole (possibly a 16 hole too, but not sure) -
On the inside they were identical to a model 260 or 270 - I.e., same reed
plates, wood comb, reed plates nailed to the comb, same slide mechanism. All
rather cleverly covered with metal in a futuristic design. Has value as a
collectable of maybe $50 to $60 if in good condition.

They seem to have had a common fault in the shuttle (slide) sticking. You had
to do a lot of dismantling to get past the ginger bread so you could work on
the harmonica. [Chromatics are bad enough without that]

[Nice to have in a collection but I wouldn't buy one just to play - bleep! now
I know me, and if they still made them I would have one!]  ;-)  I said that,
not  Dr. Harp.

       Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio  --New Addr--> IMS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx