Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 16:22:21 -0800 (PST)
From: CHRISTOPHER PAUL HARRIS <cpharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: <cpharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Sugar Blue's weapon of choice

On Fri, 25 Nov 1994, Barry Schaede wrote:

> Recently the question was asked as to what the heck was in Sugar Blue's
> hand on the most recent album cover.  I for one am very curious.  It has
> 25 holes.  Yes 25.  It's huge.  It has note names starting with D on the
> left and they keep going up.  The front notes are the unflatted or
> sharped notes and the back has the sharps and flats.  The back note names
> are in raised square shaped boxes that are stamped into the cover plate.
> The covers appear to be held on by 2 screws per end.  If this question
> was already answered and I missed it my apologies.  FJM

It's a number 7 bass polyphonia.  It goes down to the D two octaves below
middle C, I believe (I have one at home but didn't bring it along with
me to
school).  No longer made by Hohner, I bought mine about 10 years ago when
Hohner sent a sale list to all the harmonica clubs.  Cost me
a mere $35.  A great harp even if I don't find much use for it.
Polys are a dying breed of harmonica as there aren't many harmonica bands
around and Hohner only makes one now (the 263, or is it 267, or ?).
All polyphonias are chromatics (with out the lever) and were most
commonly used for the trombone parts or glissandos in harp bands.  The #7
is all
blow, and has a great looow end.  It's not a harp to just pick up and jam
along but it's fun to fool with.
The #263 is blow/draw and often used to play "Flight of the Bumble Bee".

Ok, probably more than you wanted to know...

BTW, what Sugar Blue album are we talking about?  (Is it vinyl???)  Does he actually play the poly on the disc?  (I have one of his
LPs where he plays a bass harp.  "Crossroads" I think.)  There's a great
George Smith album (and cover) where he's pictured with a poly as well.
Doesn't actually play it but it sure looks cool...

Sorry if this was already answered.  I didn't see a reply.

 -- christopher