Little Charlie & Nightcats Show

I'm mostly a reader and not a poster, but had to send a note commenting on
Little Charlie and the Nightcats here in San Antonio tonight.  I just got
back from the show and my mind is still filled with the incredible technique
of Rick Estrin.
He is by far, one of the finest harp men you'll ever see.  He does a
remarkably authentic rendition of "Juke" ( I almost felt like Little Walter
just got taller and whiter).  Most of the crowd present were unfamiliar with
their music, but they really managed to get the place jumping and gain new
fans.  Besides Rick, Charlie Baty and the crew are among the tighest, most
proficient set of musicians I've seen.  I always felt a harp player can only
be as good as the band their with, and Charlie and the boys really seem to
bring out the best in Rick along with putting out a great set of guitar
licks.

Rick also goes to prove that you don't have to have a box full of harps and
car loads of equipment to be a great harp player.  I'm sure most of the
experienced folks out there are quite familiar with him, and much may have
already been commented on him in this list, but for those who are new and
haven't seen much, he only has 5 harps on stage 3 10-hole marine bands, 1
12-hole marine band in C, and a Super Chromonica in C.  He always uses a
pre-CBS Super Reverb with an old Astatic.  No delay or echo, just the reverb
in the amp.  I always appreciated this since I'm a pretty simple player
myself and use a Super also.

I'm always just that much more inspired whenever I see Rick play, and for all
you newbies out there, don't EVER pass up the chance to see this man if he
comes through your town (or country).  I have no idea where they'll be,
although Rick did mention their going to Australia very soon.

Well, just had to add a few comments on a great show and great harp player.
 Thanks.

Jim Smorto,
Harpaholic