Re: Amps and Mics and Stuff

  On Tue, 4 Oct 1994 CAnthes@xxxxxxx asked about amps and mics,
specifically about the Fender Blues Deville and Hohner mics.

  IMHO, the Blues Deville is a great buy, as are the rest of the amps in
this new Fender tweed series. It uses the same speakers and much of the
same circuitry as the Bassman reissue (except you can't put in a tube
rectifier), includes a built-in reverb and a high-gain channel (you can
play at any volume and get a fat sound, which is difficult with a
Bassman) and costs a couple of hundred dollars less! I don't know why
this is...it does make me suspect the parts quality and the case for the
amp may not be as well-built, but I've tried one and have been impressed
by its tone.
  However, the Alnico "blue frame" speakers that come with this amp and
the Bassman reissue sound kinda crummy at first, IMHO. They're very
harsh. The sound changes appreciably, and all for the better, after about
50 hours of use or so. I like the way the speakers on my Bassman sound
now - I had considered changing 'em out for some Kendrick speakers.
 I definitely prefer a 4X10 speaker arrangement - gives the best
combination of low tones and distortion and allows for good sound dispersal.

 I, too, have been told that the Hohner mics are wired differently than
the Astatics and that this affects the gain. However, crystal mics
already run all over the place in terms of overall gain - a lot of how
good a crystal mic is has to do with the luck of the draw (again, IMHO).
I have a Hohner mic that I like and use all the time. I also have a
"crystal balls" mic from Kevin's Harps that definitely has more gain and
a better mid-range tone, but not so much so that it's worth double the
price of a Hohner and an Astatic. Plus, the screw-on connectors on this
mic and the vintage ones look cool, but they can be a pain in the butt
when trying to get a good electrical connection (which is why they were
faded out of production).

> Lastly, and the most vague question of the bunch, what advice can anyone give
> me on startin' up band.

Prayer (grin). No...I'd suggest finding a guitarist first (ads in your
local alternative paper or music rag, plus a few postcards on the
bulletin board at your local music store, can help), jamming with him/her
and seeing if you're simpatico with one another. If that works, you can
probably pick up everyone else without much hassle.