Re: Amps and Mics and Stuff

On Tue, 4 Oct 1994, Randy Lilleston wrote:

>   On Tue, 4 Oct 1994 CAnthes@xxxxxxx asked about amps and mics,
>   IMHO, the Blues Deville is a great buy, as are the rest of the amps in
> this new Fender tweed series. It uses the same speakers and much of the
> same circuitry as the Bassman reissue (except you can't put in a tube
> rectifier), includes a built-in reverb and a high-gain channel (you can
> play at any volume and get a fat sound, which is difficult with a
> Bassman)....
[clip]
	Hmm... I don't know much about new fender amps, but I can say
that distortion/overdrive/crunch whatever delivered at low volume on a
fender amp is impure.  Fo' this reason.  The distortion you're getting
with a "master-volume" is intentional, and reminiscent of a
super-champ/super-trasher metal pedal or what have you, but it's not
power tube distortion.  Power tube distortion is _much_ warmer, and much
shaggier, a looser less fuzzy distortion pedal fuzz or master-volumes.
If you look at Marshall stacks, which ones are the economy models?  The
master volumes, and then the solid-state (or as Marshall likes to call
them, valve-state. :)  There is a new amp out called the Mesa Blue Angel
which I _really_ like with guitar, and haven't tried out with harponica..
only thing is it costs $1200 or so, but that's beside the point (!)..  it
has two power amps, and they can be played individually, or in what Mesa
calls "linked" mode.  Tube Screamers are very interesting pedals..  I
describe them as adding "saturation", not so much clipping..  on a guitar
they add compression-sustain, quack, and a balance between glass-pop
Fender tone and fat ol' gibsonesque.
	Again these are just my opinions and misinformation, I'm not a
roadie, nor do I dare to aspire to such heights of grandure.
	Eric..