Re: Harp and the NOSE

On Wed, 5 Oct 1994, Mike Parr wrote:
> Hi from Mike
> Anyway, when I 'draw', my nose is blocked off - BUT, if I
> consciously try to breath a little through my nose, the
> flap opens, and the benefit is that the note produced is
> normal, whereas before, espec on 2 draw, it was slightly
> flat.
>     Mike Parr
	I think if you use a tuner or osciliscope or whatever you have
lying around the basement, you'll find that the note isn't flat, but is
just "filtered" differently.  I say filtered because that's what the
mouth is, a very complicated, enhanced filter.  Ever heard a wah(wah)
pedal for guitar?  Ever slapped the side of your mouth or neck like that
guy in Animal House? (to make popping noises)  I think the same thing can
happen when you let the sound go into your nasal cavity, and who knows
what else up there.  When I play my super 64(Maybe I wish it was a
Herring now) I sometimes pinch my nose on holes 2&3 (I think) to get a
brighter sound...