Stupid question re: John Popper

This is probably an awfully basic question, but could someone tell me the
"secret" behind John Popper's (Blues Traveller's) remarkable style (and
speed).  Does he use the tongueing technique I've read about (and never
been able to master)?  Or is he doing something else that a novice such
as myself hasn't yet discovered?  Or is he just a remakable talent that
has the ability to blow like he does?  Thanks.