John Popper, earplugs

TO: internet:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Martin Miller asks if John Popper's technique has anything to do
with tonguing.

Nope.

What it does have a lot to do with is repeating patters floated
up and down the instrument. That and incredible speed. He
discusses it in the interview we did in HIP No. 2.

FJM asks why I don't wear earplugs to concerts - evidently the
atrocious sound at the Buffett concert is the norm. If so, I'll
get a pair made - who do you see?

I don't go to big arena shows much, and the recent Kenny Loggins
show at the Concord Pavilion (a smaller venue but still quite
large) had excellent sound - crystal clear, transparent, and in
no way excessive. And both Kenny and Jimmy have mellow,
acoustic-based sounds beefed up in a similar manner. Hm.

For that matter, Popper's shows never hurt my ears either. Again,
he plays still smaller venues, but as the sexologists keep
telling us, size has nothing to do with it.