Re: JT-30 JT-30VC and Blues Blaster

>I keep telling you guys, try the Shure wired for high impedance only.
>They sound lots different.  You end up setting your amp up way different
>too so it takes geting used to.  I hated Astatics until very recently.
>Then I saw a guy who's playing I respect sounding good through a reissue
>B-man with an Astatic.  I decided if Barry can do it can do it.
>(different Barry)  I went home and fussed for about a half hour and bingo
>there was the tone.  I'm still not going to switch but at least I know
>Astatics can work.  Their output is lower than the bullet and they lack
>that mid range bark, but they're still good mics.  FJM

I have to say that all of the players that I like best play Astatics.  I used to
be a Green Bullet player until I finally got an old Astatic and it made all
the difference int he world.  I finally got the sound that I had been looking for,
but now I also realize that there are times when the GB is the mic to use, and I
have a couple of other mics that I  use from time to time too.  Live, I use the JT-30,
but I think if I ever get to do a CD, I will break out a few different mics and amps
for different sounds.  I have different rigs that all work differently depending on
the mic.
On a different "note" I think the GB is an easier mic to play for the beginner.  You can
get great tones out of it and mine seemd to allow you to "cheat" a little, but with
a JT-30, I have to concentrate on my tone and when I play it right, it is overdriven, but
clear and percussive.  If you do things like tounge-block slaps to attack the notes, it
can be heard more distinctly than with the Shure.  I personally think that this is the biggest
reason that as players get more advanced, thay switch to JT-30s.  They want to be able
to hear how the note is attacked, but it is a double edged sword, because if you don't
make a clean attack on a note, you will hear that just as easily too.  The GB is more
forgiving, IMHO.

Bernie Clarke
"Don't start me to talkin', I'll tell everything I know" - SBWII